Friday 24 April 2009

Congratulations!

Congratulations are indeed in order. I am happy that I decided to vote. As I watch the results come in and listen to the analysts make their educated deductions and predictions; I am happy that I am part of the process.

I congratulate the ANC for running a formidable campaign based on what is a clear understanding of their constituency. I had my doubts but those have now be put to bed. The ANC understands that which drives their constituency - hope. Hope for a better future, hope that their party will change their lives for the better. The ANC sold hope and the people bought it. Nothing else seemed to be of much concern. Whatever else the media and other detractors of the ANC said did not move the people, the people voted for the party they believe will deliver for them.

I congratulate the DA. They too seem to understand their own constituency. They too seem to understand that which drives their constituency - fear. The DA sold fear, fear of a 2/3rd majority of the ANC, fear of the threat to the rule of law, fear of kleptocracy and their constituency bought it regardless of all else. The DA constituency voted for the party they believe will deliver them from the evil of an ANC government.

I congratulate Cope. With very little time to prepare for the elections and with little else to offer but a proposition for change, Cope has made its presence felt. I cannot say that there is any particular understanding of its constituency on their part, moreso the understanding of the South African voting population. Cope sold change, it sold difference. The change and the difference was not well articulated; even so their constituency gave them a chance albeit in lesser than number than anticipated.

I congratulate the people of this country for going out and making their voices heard. I congratulate the people for bringing a new dawn. The last time there was so much enthusiasm about elections and the democratic process was back in 1994 when the people rallied around Nelson Mandela and made a break with the past.

I congratulate all the other parties for doing their bit however modest, for our democracy, our country, our future.

These are early days but one thing is certain, our democracy has triumphed. These elections have confirmed the right of each and every one of us to differ without being branded an enemy of the other; the right to choose in accordance with one's beliefs. These elections have to me demonstrated the importance of participating as opposed to spectating and complaining.

Now, in a few coming days Jacob Gedleyihlekisa Zuma will become the 4th president of the Republic of South Africa. He will preside over a democratically elected government, with a mandate from the people of this country to govern. He will appoint a cabinet in accordance with the powers vested on him by our constitution. A cabinet that will be empowered to execute on behalf of all the people of this country.

For that and barring all else, I congratulate and wish him well.

1 comment:

  1. I know... You are right. I hope my post didn't come across as anti-South Africa. You "know" me. I am anything but anti-South Africa. You'll know that I am not even anti-ANC. It is still the only party for me. I just don't agree with their choice of a leader. Yes, he is innocent. But I question his morals and judgement based on what he did admit happened. And I've been in a few meetings with him and wasn't impressed by his ability to lead. That said...

    The people have spoken. This was what we fought for. This is democracy. The people decide and the people will govern. And I truly trust the ability of out people to hold any government and every leader accountable for their actions. If Zuma fails he will go. The people will decide that and I know they will.

    Also, I know you were right on my right to vote. I have my issues about voting from over here and I acknowledge my right to vote - I just don't agree that they should spend the money on getting everything ready for me to vote. But I agree with the principle that every Suoth African voice should be heard and that every South African should have the right to have our voices heard.

    I am proud to be South African. I am even proud of my people voting for someone I can't vote for. Maybe I got it wrong. I should have remembered that we do not vote for a person. We vote for a party to represent the people. The guy/girl at the top will be judged by those who carries our hope.

    Go well my brother and thank you for reminding me about what we fought for back then.

    ReplyDelete