Monday 5 April 2010

AWB swears revenge . . .

I'm having my first cup of tea hoping to catch Justice Malala on the telly. I am confronted by Jeremy Maggs instead and what's more, that Patta woman is also on, something is going down (I thought sipping my tea). As it turned out, something big had gone down and it had to do with my birth province, the North-West. Jeremy tells me of the breaking news no, I lie, he drowns me in analysis, supposition and conjecture. But hey, this is news in the 21st century: while we are waiting to learn what the real story is, we will fill the time with what we believe to be the real story. Sorry, I'm off track here (I can hear Jeremy whisper "see, it's not so easy telling a story without getting side-tracked).

Against whom is the AWB revenge going to be metted out? My ever-so-perceptive wife believes it would be directed mainly at the defenceless, as it has always been. I can't help but agree. I can almost see the news headline: "10 year old boy is beaten to death walking to the township from Ventersdorp's only model C school". But that won't be news or would it?

ET was reportedly killed by two of his workers, one of whom is 16 years old. Just as an aside, what is the minimum age of employment in this country? Then again, whatever it is, it may not apply in "Vaderland" sorry, Ventersdorp. Reportedly, the two now unemployed men were arrested or did they hand themselves over to the police, Jeremy was not so clear on this? Is there a difference? It was also reported that the pair had a dispute with ET over pay. Not much else is said about this pair. Who they are, where they were born and when they got into the business of offing others. Maybe that is because they are in custody and like Nelson Mandela many years ago, they may not be quoted or written about.

I put these snippets together in my head and can't help but wonder what the big deal really is. Death is always a tough thing for nearest and dearst, murder is always an ugly thing never to be condoned. I still don't see why my Sunday news schedule had to be changed and why I had to be flooded by news about a has-been like ET. Even as I sit here typing this, the TV is reminding me of this boer's death. Does anyone even care that I missed The Justice Factor?

So, is the AWB going to injure the two men to death (an expression borrowed from another South African political formation)? How is ET's death going to be avenged exactly? What am I missing here? There was a pay dispute and then a murder. Admittedly, there is whole lot missing in the middle but this is all I have to go on. I still don't see the leap to "revenge". I concede, logic, common sense, rationale are not attributes the AWB is known for. Vacant faces, mono-coloured clothing and propensity for violence, now those are familiar AWB traits.

As these members of the South African society contemplate revenge, they may want to pause to consider that revenge, like coke, is better enjoyed cold, ice-cold. They may do even better and remember that coke is laregely over-rated. If they can manage these mental gymnastics . . . who am I kidding, the AWB would cease to exist wouldn't it?

Revenge may be the only thing the AWB has left. Against whom though and for what?

3 comments:

  1. Well my friend... With all the hate speach running in South Africa as it has been for the past 4 weeks cos of Julius Malema there is no doubt that it could have some effect to this ongoing murders in the past 2 weeks on white ppl. IF the white ppl do get to stand up and do take action, i would support them as Apartheid has never died, just swopped around. Time to take action will shake the world obviously cos no one out there really knows what truely is going on IN SA... They just see TV and thing poor white man is so crew... if only ppl around the world knew how bad the black ppl are killing and how grussom they do it... I see your point of just a nother death of a white man... you need to stop looking at the small picture and look rahter what is going on over the past 10 years and you would see that the black man is killing us like flies.... Whites should pic up there guns and put down the bibles and fight twice as hard back...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well anonymous, I can only wish you well in your quest for vengeance. I don't quite get you but then again, I'm probably not meant to. I was not aware that the past two weeks white people have been dying at the hands of gruesome black people. Pity that you think being white or black means anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haνe to thank you fоr the efforts you have put іn wrіtіng
    thіs blog. ӏ am hoping to vіew the same high-grade
    content from уou lateг οn as well.

    Ιn fact, your creative wгiting abilities has
    enсοuragеd me to get my own
    site now ;)

    Here is mу ωеb blog: ephedrine hcl weight loss
    my web page > ma huang diet pills

    ReplyDelete