Tuesday 27 January 2009

Affirmative Action: Vuyani's View

The recent nonsense that have spewed forth from Terror Lekota's mouth regarding affirmative action has left me seething with anger. I am not proud to be angry after all, when Terror was premier of the Free State province, he made it clear to a bunch of afrikaners that they should not come into his office proclaiming to be angry. Anger, he said is an animal instinct and does not scare him - or words to that effect. I therefore copied (without permission but with full acknowledgement) a piece brilliantly written by Advocate Vuyani Ngalwana which was published in the Mail & Guardian of 19 August 2005. It was brilliant then, now it is just poignant and sublime. I wish Lekota would have bothered to read and learn before he blew whatever chance of legitimacy his organisation may have had. As my grandma taught me, "if you live in a mud house, don't piss against your neighbour's wall."

I have no illusion about my appointment as Pension Funds Adjudicator. I am quite certain that even with the extensive legal experience I have in income tax law, pension law and constitutional law (among other numerous talents), the chances of my appointment under the previous National Party government (and I am ordinarily a consummate optimist) would have been firmly quashed by the colour of my skin.

I think affirmative action (AA) is being bastardised by persons who -- either owing to a genuine mis- understanding of the concept or a misperception by sheer design -- feel threatened by it.I am concerned, not so much about the opportunities that I have missed to amass heaps of wealth as there is a chance I may still do that; what angers me is that opponents of AA choose to ignore the untold damage that Dr Hendrik Verwoerd and his cronies in the NP (and, of course, the millions of white people who kept propping up the NP with both vote and pelf) caused to black people in denying us the one indispensable tool with which to fend for ourselves -- quality education. For that, I shall never forgive the NP.

To destroy a nation, you need not starve it to death as some nation states have done to ethnic minorities. To destroy a nation, you need not denigrate its religious beliefs. To destroy a nation, you need not suppress its language as the English did Afrikaans. Oh no! If you want to destroy a nation, deny it quality education as the NP did black South Africans. The person I am today is not the better person I know I would have been if it had not been for the NP's social engineering policies.

Millions of black South Africans would not be roaming the streets unemployed and not knowing which way to turn. Countless black South African men would not have died crowded deaths in the coal and gold mines of Johannesburg and each of their families paid a pittance in so-called compensation because they were thought not to know any better. Scores of South African black women (like my beautiful and highly intelligent mother, who had to leave school after obtaining a junior certificate with distinction, beating well over 90% of white students in the process) would not have found themselves turning the Master's bed, cleaning the Madam's lavatory and raising their disrespectful and ungrateful yobs for a living.

Hell, the NP and all who kept it in power wasted people like Oliver Tambo (one of the brightest persons on this Earth who featured in the top 5% in his matric year, writing the same examinations as white people before the NP put a stop to that), who could have led this country to unimaginable prosperity.AA does not derive its definition from the competence (or otherwise) of its beneficiary. That Transnet chief executive Maria Ramos (as a woman) is doing an excellent job does not, in my respectful view, change the fact that she has been given an opportunity to excel, which she would not have been given by the NP government. Such opportunities are what is required to remedy the damage caused to black people and women by past racist policies.

That Vuyani Ngalwana is thought to be performing marginally better than was expected of him does not change the fact that he is a beneficiary of this government's AA policy. Contrastingly, that Ngalwana -- having been appointed on merit -- is demonstrably shoddy at his job does not make him an AA appointment. It makes him an incompetent lout. Period. Appointment on merit, on the one hand, and appointment by affirmative action on the other, are not mutually exclusive. The incompetence of a black person (or woman) is no different from that of a white man. When a white man is incompetent, he should (assuming he had been given all the tools with which to do the job) be fired. When a black person is incompetent, why should he or she simply be labelled an AA appointment and then be left alone as if that were to be expected? Incompetence is incompetence is incompetence. It knows no race. It knows no gender.Those successful black people who "eschew the label" (as Ferial Haffajee suggested last week) are, in my respectful view, short-sighted. A countless number of black lives have been lost so that the opportunities for which affirmative action provides can be realised. It is thus ungratefulness of the highest order for those successful products of AA then to view with disdain the very ladder that has carried them to those dizzy heights, and for which so much black blood has been spilt.

This is a label to wear proudly because without it they would, in all likelihood, not be where they are today.There would have been no Mvela-phanda under the NP government. Notwithstanding the abundance of high quality black legal minds, there would have been no black Supreme Court of Appeal judge or Constitutional Court judge. There would have been no black newspaper editor. There would have been no black SABC group chief executive. There would have been no regular black rugby or cricket players in the national squad. Hell, there would have been no black talent determining our country's monetary and fiscal policy.

That the black people in these positions are there demonstrates not that this government is intent on feeding us mediocrity; it rather demonstrates its commitment to remedying an anomaly where highly competent people played second fiddle to persons of lesser ability by reason solely of the colour of their skin.I, Vuyani Ngalwana, want the whole world to know that I am an AA appointment, not because I am otherwise incompetent and would not cut it when competing for the same job with white persons of similar experience. When I was in practice, I argued cases almost exclusively against white counsel (senior and junior) and had a success rate of over 90%.

I am an AA appointment because without it I (like Steve Biko and scores of other young and bright black people) would never have had the opportunity to realise what remains of my potential. Without it, thousands of South Africans (black and white) would continue to lose their hard-earned retirement savings to life companies in mysterious charges; without it, the retirement industry would not now be changing its business ways for the better. I make no apology to anyone for being an AA appointment because without it I would probably be roaming the streets of Gugulethu wondering what was wrong with this country.

I could not have said it better, even if I tried.

10 comments:

  1. (As background to this comment: I am pro-AA, and that was a great article)

    Very possibly I missed some of what Lekota said about AA. But the original comments he made (that I read, at any rate), it seemed to me that what he was saying was that the time has come to take more than race into account for AA purposes. In the sense that nowadays there are black kids who have been almost entirely schooled at posh private schools (like St Andrews in Grahamstown, for example) or even at good former model-C schools. And that AA should not apply equally to a kid from St Andrews and a kid from a school in the township where there is a 40% pass rate.

    Which is debatable, of course. But it is a far cry from saying "we should get rid of AA."

    Or maybe I am just interpreting him charitably?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the point exactly. At my university we as black students made it clear that their representation of black students from Bishops, Michael House (this one remains a close friend of mine) St Johns, did not count cause they could kick ass on their own bat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hear, hear!

    I worked on the new procurement policy of South Africa in the late 90's. Yes, we had to rewrite all the Apartheid laws... One of the things we struggled with was how to bring AA into government procurement. Did we create a perfect piece of legislation? No we did not. Is it better than the old one? Abso-bloody-lutely! Some people did exploit it but we fixed it and I do believe we have one of the best (if not the best) pieces of legislation in the world.

    The story I like telling is about the 100m Olympic finals. Two guys in the race... One guy pumped full of steriods and had the best trainers and facilities in the world. The other guy? Under-fed, never had training and was thrown in jail for most of his life. Is it fair to say that both of them are equal just because they are now both allowed to compete? No! We must get the one guy off the steriods and provide the other guy with the right trianing and opportunities first. AA is getting that second guy the chance and training to achieve what he could have if both of the guys were treated as equal and had equal opportunities to start off with.

    Sorry - A bit of a rant but I just can't understand how people can be against AA when they don't know the history.

    Maybe that's why my blogname is also AA...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "That is the point exactly."
    Uum then why are you angry with Lekota? Isn't that also what Lekota was saying?

    Or has he said other things I haven't heard?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "We must look at affirmative action, we cannot carry on like this forever - it disadvantages white people . . ." From SABC 3 news (I will look for the date). There is reportedly another speech made to some Jewish gathering which I intend looking for. As to the point I tried to make on previous comment, AA is not about such individuals in the first place and secondly, it was not was Terror was saying - it was an explanation he gave for his earlier statement that AA should go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeek no, ok, I didn't hear that.

    After I went home last night (afterm y previous post) it actually occurred to me that I was probably missing the point. That the issue was probably the "white people being disadvantaged by AA" thing, or the "poor white people should benefit from AA" thing, which you now say it was.

    Which is complete nonsense, I agree with you.

    (In fact, when I realised that is what you meant I wrote out a reply on a scrap of paper to post today.. on the "poor white people should benefit from AA" thing.)

    My scrap of paper:
    "Of course we want ours to be a society that helps uplift poor people, of any race. But that is *not* the role of AA. The role of AA is to address the injustices of SA's particular past, where black people (not poor people) were purposefully denied the right to participate in society except in the role of servants. It was a wrong against black people, not poor people. And the role of AA is to make some amends for that wrong by helping black people (not poor people)."

    ReplyDelete
  7. So yes, anyway, then I understand your anger at Lekota's statements.


    As an aside, I am a bit of a hypocrite for my previous post, because as a (white) girl in the sciences I also fall under AA. Which is not so very great. But it's not like I am refusing AA bursary money :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. take the bursary Laura, you is good people and you won't go to Auzzie and leave me here now will you? Anger is not a good thing though, it gets in a way of good conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lekota's comments should make every black person angry. I have to vehemently disagree with the sentiment that kids from affluent families should be excluded from AA. Besides in the scheme the affluent Black families we talk about here do not even make 5% of the black population. As some of you have said AA is a tool to redress a wrong done against Black people, not poor Black people.

    Because Lekota and a few of his ilk have suddenly discovered the riches now they think the intentions of AA should be revisited. I am personally disgusted by him, especially bearing in mind that he comes from the Black Consciousness background. Everytime I think about COPE's view on AA I get sick in the stomach.

    As for the poor white problem, I do not think the laws of this country discriminates against them accessing all the benefits there are for poor people, they should not be looked at as a special group....hell its a problem that the Nats tried to address failed...they are poor because they chose to despite all the opportunities they have been given and they still receive.

    Anyway I am still to meet an unemployed white graduate...

    ReplyDelete